but New York-bred
I graduated from Boston University in 2011 with a degree in journalism. I’ve worked for the New York Post, Times Review Media Group, and Patch.com earning awards with the New York Press Association for my in-depth reporting, news and feature stories. I’m skilled at content creation, editing and managing a team of reporters and handling multiple deadlines under a high-pressure news environment.
I’ve written about everything from wildfires to film festivals, forgotten histories to race car drivers and helped run newsrooms during national breaking news events, coordinating our coverage and editing copy. I seem to wear a different hat every day and I love it.
New York Post — New York, N.Y.
Associate Web Editor (Mar 2017 to present)
- Edit copy from a team of reporters and assign stories to producers.
- Identify newsworthy and intriguing stories to produce.
- Create web packages for stories using text copy, video, photo galleries and other graphics.
- Manage story workflow between print and web teams.
- Send push notifications to mobile apps.
- Publish stories to the website from a variety of new, editorial and feature desks.
- Write engaging web headlines in the Post’s style.
- Manage story placement on the New York Post and Page Six websites.
Times Review Media Group — Long Island, N.Y.
Senior Staff Writer (Jan 2012 to Mar 2017)
- Cover a variety of topics, including breaking news, local government, business trends, feature stories across Long Island’s North Fork.
- Create and edit videos, charts and infographics for online publication.
- Cultivate sources and generate story pitches about current news and interesting people
- Manage time between multiple stories at once on a daily web schedule.
- Served as web editor, managing content for multiple daily news sites and planning social media posts.
Patch.com — Long Island, N.Y.
Local Editor (July 2011 to January 2012)
- Reported on schools, police, breaking news, government and community news and events, including accompanying photographs and videos.
- Promoted and broadcasted local news via social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
The Quad — Boston, Mass.
Film Section Manager and Copy Editor (September 2010 to May 2011)
- Was responsible for writing, editing, formatting, and posting blog entries on a variety of subjects, mostly related to the film industry.
- Covered and edited dispatches from Tribeca Film Festival.
Patch.com — Long Island, N.Y.
Freelance reporter (May 2010 to January 2011)
- Covered local school board meetings, public hearings, events and breaking news totaling more than 40 articles.
New York Press Association
- First Place awards for Sports Feature, Graphic Illustration, Coverage of Crime/Police/Courts and In-Depth reporting. Third Place for Spot News coverage. (2015)
- First Place awards for In-Depth Reporting, Coverage of Agriculture, Coverage of Local Government and Coverage of Crime/Police/Courts. Second Place awards for In-Depth Reporting, Coverage of Local Government and Coverage of Agriculture (2014) Third Place award for overall NYPA Writer of the Year.
- First Place awards for News Story, In-Depth Reporting, Coverage of Local Government and Coverage of Agriculture. Second Place awards for Coverage of Crime/Police/Courts, Use of Multimedia, Spot News story and Feature Photo (2013)
- Second Place in the Sharon R. Fulmer Award for Community Leadership (2012)
Boston University — Boston, Mass.
College of Communication (2009 to 2011)
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism (Cum Laude); Dean’s Scholarship recipient
Syracuse University — Syracuse, N.Y.
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications (2007 to 2009)
- Newspaper Journalism major.
Use the widgets at the bottom right of any page to reach me. Your best bet to contact me is through email at pauljsquire (at) gmail (dot) com.